This watermelon-ginger mojito is the perfect summer cocktail recipe! It’s light and refreshing and perfect for sipping poolside all summer long.
There’s something extra refreshing about a cocktail with mint, like these mint juleps or this blackberry whiskey smash. The watermelon and ginger just take this classic cocktail to the next level! A bit of melon sweetness plus the spicy ginger is the perfect flavor combo.
The Most Refreshing Summer Cocktail
My watermelon-ginger mojito is a refreshing spin on the classic mojito, a cocktail that was developed in Cuba. It gained popularity in the 1930s by Ernest Hemingway touting it as his favorite cocktail.
Adding watermelon and fresh ginger gives this cocktail a fresh summery punch of flavor! It’s the perfect summer libation and you won’t believe how easy it is to make!
How to make a Watermelon-Ginger Mojito
This is one of my favorite easy cocktails to make that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Watermelon Juice
- White Rum
- Simple Syrup
- Fresh Mint
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Ginger
- Soda Water
This watermelon-ginger mojito recipe is so simple: you’ll just muddle in the mint and fresh ginger! No need for simmering simple syrups on the stove. Muddling is gently mashing herbs or fruits to release their juices, which helps their flavors to incorporate into the drink.
- Step one: You can use store bought watermelon juice, but I love making my own! I like to get a small seedless watermelon and use half for juice, and half for snacking! Throw about 4 cups of cubed watermelon in a blender and blend until smooth. Strain the watermelon juice through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth and store in the fridge. Fresh watermelon juice lasts for about a week.
- Step two: Muddle the mint leaves, sliced ginger, and simple syrup in a cocktail glass. Make sure all the ingredients are well-mashed.
- Step three: Add the white rum and lime juice and stir well. Fill the glass with ice and add the watermelon juice. Top with sparkling soda water.
- Step four: Garnish with watermelon, fresh mint, and fresh ginger slices.
Making your own Watermelon Juice
Making fresh watermelon juice for these watermelon-ginger mojitos is always the way to go! It’s also a refreshing beverage to have on hand, especially if you want to make fresh watermelon margaritas.
First, you want to select the right watermelon. You want to look for a smaller, seedless watermelon. You can use a giant one, but I would only cut up a portion of it as it makes A LOT of juice.
When you tap it, it should sound hollow. It should also have a yellow spot on its underbelly, this is where it rests on the ground as it grows and indicates ripeness. This will make the best watermelon juice.
Cut off the rind and make sure that no light colored spots remain. Cube up the watermelon and blend it until smooth. Then, just strain the juice through a fine mesh strainer or some cheese cloth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Having a Party? Make a Watermelon-Ginger Mojito Pitcher! (Serves 8-10)
When entertaining, it can be super hectic to make individual cocktails for your guests. This is why I love to batch out my cocktail recipes for entertaining ease!
Start with a half-gallon jar and muddle one bunch of mint with 8-10 slices of fresh ginger and 1 cup of simple syrup. To the jar, add 2 cups of white rum, 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, and 3 cups of watermelon juice. Secure the lid and shake really well. Store in the fridge so that it’s nice and cold.
When it’s time to serve, fill cocktail glasses with ice and divide the cocktail mixture among the glasses. Top with sparkling soda water and garnish with fresh mint and watermelon.
Never put ice in the pitcher! This waters down the drink–it’s better to put ice directly in the glasses and divide the cocktail mixture on top.
Making Non-Alcoholic Watermelon-Ginger Mojitos
As much as I love my summer libations, I’m always looking for a great beverage to sip on sans alcohol. Simply omit the rum here! You can also reduce the simple syrup depending on how sweet you like your drinks.
Without alcohol, this is an incredible refreshing agua fresca-like drink that’s perfect for sipping all summer long.
More Cocktail Recipes to Try Now
This post contains affiliate links from which I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links allow me to keep providing great recipes for free and I never recommend products that I don’t love and personally own.
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 2-3 fresh ginger slices
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 2 oz white rum
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 3 oz fresh watermelon juice
- soda water, for topping
- mint sprigs, for garnish
- ginger slices, for garnish
- watermelon balls, for garnish
- In a cocktail glass, muddle the ginger slices, mint leaves, and simple syrup. Make sure to smash everything really well.
- Add the rum and lime juice and stir well. Fill the glass with ice and top with the watermelon juice. Pour the soda water on top and garnish with mint sprigs, ginger, and watermelon balls.