This is the simple coconut margarita recipe that you didn’t know you needed! It’s a tropical mix of tequila, Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice, cream of coconut, and toasted coconut flakes. Relax with a coconut margarita in hand and every day feels like summer. If you love margaritas as much as I do, check out my other margarita variations.
How to make a Coconut Margarita
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Tequila. I’m using a tequila blanco here for a clean flavor, but you can sub in reposado if that’s what you like. My favorite brands are Teremana and Casamigos.
- Grand Marnier. Margaritas always call for an orange liqueur or ‘triple sec.’ I find that Grand Marnier gives the best flavor, but you can also use Cointreau or a more budget-friendly generic triple sec.
- Fresh lime juice. Fresh lime juice is a MUST. Please don’t buy those little green bottles shaped like limes. Buy fresh lime juice, or buy some limes and juice them yourself!
- Cream of coconut. Not to be confused with coconut milk or coconut cream, which are usually found in the Asian food aisle. Cream of coconut is a cocktail syrup with a similar consistency to sweetened condensed milk. You will find cream of coconut in the cocktail mixer aisle and it’s sold in a squeeze bottle for convenient storage. A popular brand, and the one I use, is Coco Lopez.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut. We toast our own coconut for coconut margaritas, around here! I like adding a bit of toasted coconut to the drink, as well as making a coating for the rim of the drink.
- Coconut extract. This is a totally optional ingredient, but I find a couple of drops of coconut extract really ramps up the flavor.
Having a party? Make a coconut margarita pitcher! (8-10 Servings)
If you’re serving a crowd, it’s so easy to make a large batch of coconut margaritas. Less time spent making drinks, more time spent enjoying them with friends and family!
In a large pitcher combine:
- 2 cups Tequila
- 1 cup Grand Marnier (or Cointreau/Triple Sec)
- 12 oz Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup (8 oz) Cream of Coconut
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut bits
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
Never add ice to the pitcher! This dilutes the drink. Stir the drink well until creamy in appearance and pour over ice in a rocks glass. Salúd!
Coconut Margaritas FAQs
Can I make my own cream of coconut?
Yes! Combine 1 cup of coconut cream, 1 cup of sugar, and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and gently simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
How long will margaritas keep in the refrigerator?
As long as they’re kept cold, you can store margaritas for up to 2 days in the fridge.
I don’t like tequila. Can I substitute another alcohol?
Margaritas are inherently made with tequila. That being said, white rum would taste great here but it’s no longer a margarita.
How many margaritas will a bottle of tequila make?
If you’re using a standard 750ml bottle of tequila and using this recipe, a bottle of tequila will make about 12.5 margaritas.