Instant Pot Dal Makhani
I have been trying to incorporate more plant based meals into our weekly repertoire. So this easy instant pot dal makhani is perfect! My husband and I love Indian food and the bonus is that the majority of the cuisine is vegetarian or vegan and yet still super flavorful, hearty and satisfying.
What is Dal Makhani?
Dal or Daal in Indian cuisine refers to lentil based dishes and there are about a million varieties. Dal makhani is made with black urad dal lentils and red beans. You can find urad dal lentils at most mediterranean or middle eastern markets or grocery stores. You can substitute regular black lentils, but they won’t have the same texture as urad dal. I don’t claim for this recipe to be authentic, but it is really delicious!
How to make Instant Pot Dal Makhani
This recipe does require some specialty ingredients, but once you have them on hand I promise you’ll make this recipe regularly!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Red Kidney Beans
- Spices (Kashmiri chili powder, Garam Masala, Curry Powder, Cumin, Fenugreek, Cinnamon, Cloves)
- Tomato Paste
- Heavy Cream
Finding Specialty Ingredients for Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Indian food requires tons of spices! That’s what makes the food so fragrant and special. You can easily find any of the spices below on Amazon, but I recommend heading to your local Middle Eastern or Indian market. You should be able to easily find all the spices and the lentils. You can also check the bulk spice section of your local well-stocked grocery store.
If amazon, is easier, check out these helpful links.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 serrano minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Indian chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups urad dal
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Turn your instant pot to the sauté function on low. Add the oil to the pot and the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until the seeds are fragrant.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and serrano and cook until softened, stirring regularly to prevent the spices from burning. Add the garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, cinnamon, and cloves, and cook for 1 minute. Then, add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the lentils, red beans, water, and the salt.
- Lock the lid in place and change to the 'multigrain' function and set the timer for 45 minutes on high. Allow for a natural pressure release, remove the lid, stir and season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle the lentils with heavy cream and top with chopped cilantro before serving.