Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken
Grilled cilantro-lime chicken is the perfect recipe for summer grilling. Flavorful chicken thighs marinated in a mixture of cilantro, jalapeños, tequila, and garlic will wow your taste buds.
It’s fast, easy to throw together, and I can turn it into so many meals. Throw it over some rice with grilled veggies or in a taco with some salsa and cabbage. The possibilities are endless! The best part? The marinade comes together in the blender and this meal only takes a couple of minutes to throw together!
How to Make Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken
Ingredients you’ll need
- Chicken. I love using chicken thighs here because they’re more flavorful and that extra bit of fat makes them super juicy. If you prefer chicken breast, you can swap that in instead.
- Cilantro. This recipe may even convert the most fervent cilantro haters! Make sure to use the leaves and the stems for extra flavor.
- Garlic. Is it even a good recipe without garlic?
- Lime juice and zest. Grilled cilantro-lime chicken calls for both lime zest and juice to really reinforce that citrus flavor.
- Jalapeño. Fresh jalapeño in the marinade adds a punch of heat and flavor without being overly spicy.
- Tequila. Tequila really adds a ton of flavor, but the booze grills off when you cook the chicken. The tequila also helps keep the chicken very tender. Use a decent blanco tequila and serve these watermelon margaritas on the side!
How to make grilled cilantro-lime chicken
- Prepare your marinade. The best part about this recipe is that you throw everything together in the blender! Blend the marinade ingredients until they’re smooth.
- Marinate your chicken. I throw all the chicken into a large ziplock bag and pour the marinade on top. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken. You can grill the chicken outdoors or inside on a grill pan, whatever you have! Preheat your grill over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill on each side for 3-5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked all the way through to 165 degrees F. Serve and enjoy!
Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken FAQs
Do I have to use tequila?
If you’re wary about cooking with alcohol, you don’t have to use tequila. I think it adds a lot of flavor and helps tenderize the chicken. Keep in mind that the alcohol grills off if that’s a concern.
How long can you keep grilled chicken?
I love using this recipe for meal prep and find that it stays fresh for about 5-7 days!
Can I substitute other meats?
Absolutely! This marinade would be great on grilled pork or pork chops, grilled steak, chicken breast, shrimp, etc. The sky is the limit and it’s naturally gluten-free!
More Grilling Recipes to Try
This post contains affiliate links from which I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links allow me to keep providing great recipes for free and I never recommend products that I don’t love and personally own.
Grilled Cilantro-Lime Chicken
- 2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed of excess fat
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves and stems
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 4 oz 1/2 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Place your chicken thighs in a large zip-top bag.
- Combine the cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, tequila, olive oil, honey, and salt in the carafe of a blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and seal the bag. Shake to ensure that the chicken is well coated and marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 8 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill for 3-5 minutes per side or until browned and the chicken is cooked all the way through (165 degrees F).
- Serve with extra cilantro and limes.