Cucumber Yogurt Salad
Cucumber yogurt salad is fresh and tangy with crisp cucumbers, red onion, lemon, fresh dill, skyr, and za’atar. This salad recipe is always on repeat in our household! It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and complements everything from grilled steak to seafood.
I’m a huge fan of anything mediterranean and this salad is so flavorful and simple.
What is Skyr?
If you’re unfamiliar with skyr, get ready to have your life changed! It’s an amazingly creamy, rich, and nourishing yogurt-like product from Iceland. Skyr has been enjoyed in Iceland for thousands of years and makes the perfect addition to desserts, breakfasts, and sauces.
This recipe uses Skyr from ICELANDIC PROVISIONS–the creamiest skyr on the market to make the dressing for our cucumber salad that much more addicting. Not sure where to find skyr? Check out this helpful product locator HERE.
Why Cook with Skyr?
In any place where I’d use sour cream, I love swapping in yogurt or skyr. It’s super creamy without being too tart and it packs some serious protein and probiotics.
If you can’t find skyr, swap in your favorite whole-milk yogurt or greek yogurt.
How to make Cucumber Yogurt Salad
This recipe only takes a handful of ingredients and about 10 minutes to throw together. It’s best enjoyed right after making.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cucumber. You’ll want to use seedless cucumber here–either hothouse/English or Persian/baby cucumbers.
- Red onion. Make sure to really thinly slice your onion.
- Skyr or yogurt. Full-fat skyr or greek yogurt is best here! The little bit of fat helps a lot with texture and flavor.
- Lemon. Lemon juice and lemon zest make this salad extra fresh.
- Olive oil.
- Dill. Lots of fresh chopped dill really complements the lemon here! You can use dried dill if fresh isn’t available.
- Za’atar. Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture made of sesame seeds, herbs, and sumac. It’s so flavorful and adds a punch of flavor. You can find it at any well-stocked grocery store including Whole Foods, Central Market, Trader Joe’s, etc.
- Step one: Thinly slice your cucumber and onion. Combine them in a mixing bowl.
- Step two: Season the cucumbers and onion with a bit of kosher salt and pepper.
- Step three: Add the skyr or yogurt, dill, lemon juice and zest, olive oil, and za’atar and toss well to combine. Be careful not to bruise the cucumbers.
- Step four: Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then serve!
Storing Cucumber Yogurt Salad
This cucumber yogurt salad is best served the same day that it’s prepared.
Leftovers: If you like the crisp taste of cucumbers, I recommend serving this salad immediately or within a half-hour of prep. Otherwise, the cucumbers will begin to soften as they release some of their water.
You can store the leftover salad in the refrigerator for up 1 day.
More Easy Salad Recipes to Try
This recipe is part of a sponsored campaign with Icelandic Provisions. Sponsored posts and brand partnerships (with brands that align with my values and commitment to quality) allow me to keep providing quality recipes at no cost to you! All opinions are my own in regards to any products or brands that I may highlight.
Cucumber Yogurt Salad
- 2-3 English/hothouse cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain skyr or yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons za'atar
- 2 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cucumbers and red onion. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Add the skyr or yogurt, lemon juice, zest, dill, olive oil, and za'atar. Toss gently to combine everything. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with some good olive oil, sprinkle with more za'atar and fresh dill. Serve immediately.