Smoked Salmon Spread
Smoked salmon spread is the perfect easy appetizer recipe! You can throw it together in minutes with only a few pantry staples. It’s loaded with smoked salmon, capers, dill, red onion, and lemon. You can serve it as part of a bagel spread or serve it with crackers or cucumbers and crudité.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Spread
The best part about this smoked salmon spread is that it comes together in minutes so you’re always party-ready.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Smoked salmon. You could also use cured salmon here. Use your favorite brand of smoked salmon.
- Cream cheese. Cream cheese is the base of this dip.
- Red Onion. You can also swap in some finely minced shallot for a milder onion flavor.
- Capers. I love the zing that capers give this spread.
- Fresh Dill. You can’t have salmon without dill!
- Scallions. Finely sliced scallions give a little extra onion flavor. Use the dark green parts only.
- Lemon. A little lemon zest and juice keep this spread from being too rich.
- Cornichons. This is an optional addition, but I love cornichon pickles and the crunch they add!
What to serve with smoked salmon spread
This smoked salmon spread is so versatile and easy to put together. I really love serving it as part of a bagel spread. I lay out the spread, bagels, red onion, cucumber, avocado, arugula, and bacon, and let people build their own bagels.
If you serve it as a party dip, you can’t go wrong with crackers or bagel chips. This is a sturdy dip, so opt for hearty crackers like Triscuits or similar. If you are watching carbs, serve it alongside sliced cucumbers, bell peppers, and celery sticks for a healthy dip option.
Making smoked salmon spread ahead of time
While I don’t recommend freezing this spread, you can definitely make it ahead of time! I actually think the flavor is better if you make this spread at least 4 hours before you plan to serve it. You can make it up to 3 days in advance or store it for up to 3 days after serving.
Other Appetizer Recipes to Try
This post contains affiliate links from which I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links allow me to keep providing great recipes for free and I never recommend products that I don’t love and personally own.
Smoked Salmon Spread
- 12 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 8 oz smoked salmon roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup finely minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 3 tablespoons chopped cornichons
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions dark green parts only
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently mix until really well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before serving.