Homemade roasted tomato soup and grilled cheese is hands-down one of my favorite meals. I grew up with the Campbell’s version served with a Kraft singles grilled cheese (still amazing). However, today we’re giving tomato soup and grilled cheese a make-over. Mixed tomatoes are roasted with shallot, garlic, olive oil, and fresh herbs until soft and then blended for the easiest soup ever. The flavor is out of this world!
How to make easy Roasted Tomato Soup
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Tomatoes. Use your favorite! I used a mix of vine ripe tomatoes, baby san Marzano tomatoes, and some Roma tomatoes.
- Shallot. One thinly sliced shallot adds the perfect amount of onion flavor without being overwhelming. If you don’t have shallots, sub half of a small yellow onion, thinly sliced.
- Garlic. Garlic is a must in this recipe! I use peeled, whole garlic cloves and they slowly roast and become soft in the oven. So good!
- Olive Oil. You don’t need to use high-quality olive oil here, just one that you like.
- Thyme and Basil. I used a bit of fresh thyme in with the tomatoes while they roasted, and blended a little basil in at the end. Way better than canned soup!
- Broth. If you find the soup to be a little thick after blending, add a little broth or water to thin it out. I like my soup thick!
- Heavy cream or coconut cream. I drizzled a little cream into the soup after serving. You can omit this or keep it vegan by using a little drizzle of coconut cream.
PREPARING ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
- Prep your tomatoes. If you’re using baby or cherry tomatoes, you don’t need to cut them up, just give them a good rinse. I used a mix of tomatoes so I halved and quartered the larger ones.
- Roast. Combine your tomatoes, shallots, and garlic in a baking dish (I used a 9×13). Drizzle the olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix everything really well and then throw a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme in. Roast at 400 degrees F. for about 45 minutes, until everything is soft.
- Blend. Transfer the contents of the baking dish to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Add 2-3 basil leaves to the blender, season to taste with salt and pepper, and blend. If the soup is thick, add a little broth until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve. Pour soup into bowls and top with a little drizzle of cream and more fresh basil. Serve with grilled cheese (recipe below!).
Roasted tomato soup FAQs
Is roasted tomato soup vegan?
Yes! Roasted tomato soup is both vegan and gluten-free, simply omit the cream or swap in coconut cream to add a little richness.
Can roasted tomato soup be frozen?
Yep! This is a great way to preserve those beautiful summer tomatoes. Make a large batch and freeze the rest in airtight containers or ziplock bags for up to 6 months.
Can I use canned tomatoes?
Yes! Follow the same steps, just prepare for it to not be exactly the same. There’s something about the flavor of fresh tomatoes in this roasted tomato soup that makes this recipe so special.
OTHER RECIPES TO TRY:
This recipe contains affiliate links from which I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links allow me to keep providing great recipes for free and I never recommend products that I don’t love and personally own.Print