Bacon cheddar waffles are my favorite sweet and savory breakfast! Loaded with crispy bacon, sharp cheddar, and chives, these waffles don’t even need syrup to taste amazing.
1 2/3 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons bacon fat
3 tablespoons honey
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 strips bacon
1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded (don’t use pre-shredded cheese)
1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay the bacon strips on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until bacon is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil. Once the bacon is cool, finely chop it. Once the bacon fat has cooled, use the foil to funnel the bacon fat into a small container for storage. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs until smooth.
- Add the butter, bacon fat, brown sugar, and honey to a microwave safe, heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted. Cool slightly. Alternately, melt the ingredients in a small skillet and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the butter mixture to the batter and add the minced bacon, shredded cheese, and chives. Gently fold in using a spatula until the batter is smooth and the butter has been completely incorporated in.
- Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions and, once heated to temperature, spray with nonstick spray.
- Evenly pour 3/4 cup of batter over the surface of the waffle iron and use a spatula to gently spread the batter all over. Close the lid and cook according to the instructions. Serve immediately.