Bacon Cheddar Waffles
Because I don’t love sweets for breakfast, these bacon cheddar waffles are a perfect compromise. They’re a little bit sweet with a fun savory edge and I can’t ever go back to regular waffles. I loaded these bad boys up with tons of crispy bacon, sharp cheddar, and chives (or scallions!). Top them with a fried egg or salted butter and my favorite bourbon-barrel maple syrup from Trader Joe’s and prepare to be wow-ed!
How to Make Bacon Cheddar Waffles
Bacon cheddar waffles are so easy to make!
- Start by whisking together your dry ingredients. Combine your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together your eggs and milk.
- In a microwave-safe dish or cup, melt your butter, bacon fat, honey, and brown sugar in the microwave. Stir until the brown sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until everything is combined. Then, add your butter mixture to the batter along with chopped crispy bacon, sharp cheddar, and chives. Fold all the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter with no lumps of flour.
- Heat your waffle iron to the manufacture’s recommended settings and spray it lightly with non-stick spray.
- Add 3/4 cup of batter to the waffle iron and use a spatula to spread it evenly. Cook according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and serve warm.
That’s it! Bacon cheddar waffles come to life in under 30 minutes and they’re so easy to feed a crowd.
The best method for cooking bacon
I’m going to reveal the absolute best method for cooking bacon–prepare to have your mind blown! I cook my bacon in the oven and end up with the crispiest bacon ever and no mess. I stopped cooking bacon in a skillet when I realized there’s an easier way. All you need is a rimmed baking sheet, some foil, and your favorite bacon. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F and then line your baking sheet with foil. Lay your strips of bacon in an even layer and cook your bacon for 15-18 minutes depending on your desired doneness. Remove the bacon from the oven and transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate. The best part? The foil makes it so easy to save all that amazing bacon fat! Just use the foil as a funnel to drizzle the bacon fat into a container to save for later.
My favorite waffle iron
I’ve partnered with my friends at Art + Cook to showcase their amazing waffle maker. I love it because it’s easy to use, it’s lightweight, affordable, and the non-stick coating keeps your waffles from sticking. It’s just a winner in my book! My favorite part is the browning settings–if you like your waffles a bit darker or lighter, it’s easy to customize! Check out their other amazing and intuitive products for the home cook here.
How to get crispy waffles
Here are a few tips to ensure you have crispy bacon cheddar waffles every single time!
- Make sure your recipe has enough sugar in it. Sugar caramelizing is what helps give that golden, crispy crust.
- Use a flip waffle maker! No matter how good your recipe is, if your waffle maker stinks, your waffles will suffer. Using a flip waffle maker ensures that the batter spreads and cooks evenly on both sides. Ditch your old waffle maker and get a new one if necessary!
- Make sure your waffle iron is hot enough. Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer and let it heat back up between batches. The quickest way to soggy waffles is a less-than-hot waffle iron.
- Lastly, keep your waffles warm while cooking the rest. I put my waffles on a rack set over a baking sheet into a 250 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
Ingredients for Bacon Cheddar Waffles
- All purpose flour. Flour is the base of the recipe so make sure you use high-quality flour that hasn’t been sitting in your pantry for a decade.
- Brown Sugar. I love using brown sugar for bacon cheddar waffles because it adds way more flavor than granulated sugar.
- Baking powder and baking soda. Both baking powder and baking soda are necessary here–they help the waffles brown evenly and keep them nice and fluffy.
- Whole Milk. Don’t skimp on the whole milk, the fat is necessary for tender waffles.
- Honey. I love the combo of the brown sugar and honey–each has a super unique flavor.
- Bacon Fat. Mixing bacon fat with the butter really takes these waffles to the next level!
More Brunch Recipes to Try
This post contains affiliate links from which I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links allow me to keep providing great recipes for free and I never recommend products that I don’t love and personally own.
Bacon Cheddar Waffles
- 1 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded (don't use pre-shredded cheese)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- Nonstick spray
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay the bacon strips on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until bacon is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil. Once the bacon is cool, finely chop it. Once the bacon fat has cooled, use the foil to funnel the bacon fat into a small container for storage. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs until smooth.
- Add the butter, bacon fat, brown sugar, and honey to a microwave safe, heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted. Cool slightly. Alternately, melt the ingredients in a small skillet and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the butter mixture to the batter and add the minced bacon, shredded cheese, and chives. Gently fold in using a spatula until the batter is smooth and the butter has been completely incorporated in.
- Heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions and, once heated to temperature, spray with nonstick spray.
- Evenly pour 3/4 cup of batter over the surface of the waffle iron and use a spatula to gently spread the batter all over. Close the lid and cook according to the instructions. Serve immediately.