I love a good bourbon cocktail and this spiced cranberry old fashioned is my favorite cocktail to drink during the holidays or on a chilly evening.
Spiced Cranberry Old Fashioned:
- 2 oz bourbon or rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz spiced cranberry syrup (recipe below)
- 2 dashes old fashioned bitters
- orange peel, for garnish
Spiced Cranberry Syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 navel orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split open and scraped of seeds
- 1/2” piece of ginger, sliced
- 8 whole cloves
- 5 whole allspice berries
- To make the syrup: take a vegetable peeler and peel only the outermost layer of the orange, save one piece of orange peel for garnish. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir to dissolve the sugar and continue to simmer on low until the syrup has reduced to 1 cup. Cool to room temperature and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- To make the cocktail: in a double old fashioned glass, add the whiskey, bourbon and syrup. Add one large square or sphere ice cube and stir well with a cocktail serving spoon. Garnish with an orange peel.