This is my absolute favorite tomato sauce recipe and it only requires 5 ingredients and about 20 minutes!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed well by hand
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked spaghetti or bucatini
- In a medium saucepan, melt two tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes without allowing the garlic to brown (you may need to lower the heat). Add the crushed tomatoes and the juice to the pan. Add the oregano and crushed red pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining butter until the sauce is creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta and top with parmesan and more crushed red pepper, if desired.
Use the best whole peeled tomatoes you can find and crush them by hand. You can substitute crushed tomatoes, but san marzano tomatoes crushed by hand are the best.