If you haven’t ever had congee, it is the easiest and most comforting meal ever!
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 7 cups homemade chicken broth (see above)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices cooked pork belly, crisped up in a pan
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (dark green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- To make the congee: place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cool water until the water runs clear. This step is important, take your time with it!
- In a 4 qt pot or dutch oven, add broth and rinsed rice and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover and continue to simmer for 90 minutes stirring every 15 minutes or so. At the end you will have the texture of porridge.
- To make the jammy eggs: bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a medium sauce pot. Gently lower in 4 eggs and set a timer for 8 minutes. Once the timer goes off, immediately transfer the eggs to an ice bath for 1 minute (just to make them cool enough to handle, but it won’t completely cool the inside). Peel and cut in half when you’re ready to serve.
- Season the congee with the grated ginger and salt/pepper to taste. It’s important to season at the end because simmering for that long can make the dish too salty if the salt is added at the beginning. Top with jammy eggs, sliced scallions, pork belly, chili oil, soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil, if desired.
Homemade stock is a must here. See above for a quick instant pot chicken stock recipe.
Congee can be made with any rice, I personally prefer the texture of sushi rice or short grain rice.
This recipe can be made vegetarian/vegan by substituting homemade vegetable broth.