If you are looking for a game day appetizer or the perfect party food, potato rolled tacos are the best!
- 3 large yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- salt and pepper
- corn tortillas
- canola oil, for frying
- guacamole (see below), for topping
- shredded cheddar, for topping
- 4 large avocados, ripe
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- salt and pepper
- To make the rolled tacos: Place the chopped potatoes in a slightly salted pot of water and boil until very tender. Drain and wipe out the pot. Heat the oil in the pan, add the onion and cook until softened. Add the potatoes back to the pot with the ancho chile powder, garlic powder and some salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/4 cup of water or broth and cool until the potatoes are almost mashed potato texture. Transfer filling to a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Arrange 5 tortillas on a plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel. Microwave for 45 seconds. The tortillas should be very flexible. If they crack at all when you bend them, microwave a little longer. Take 2-3 tablespoons of potato filling and distribute it on one side of the tortilla. Tightly roll the tortilla up and place on a baking sheet seam side down. Repeat until the filling is gone. Freeze for 2-3 hours, until firm, or overnight.
- To make the guacamole: remove the seeds from the avocados and mash the flesh in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until mostly smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of canola oil in a pot or dutch oven. Bring the oil to 360 degrees F. Gently lower 3-4 frozen rolled tacos into the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and crunch. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet to drain any excess oil. Repeat until all the tacos are fried. Top with shredded cheddar and guacamole.
You could also fill these rolled tacos with your favorite meat! I just really love the potato in these.
I haven’t done these in the oven, but if you really don’t want to fry them I would brush the frozen rolled tacos with canola oil on a baking sheet and bake at 425, seam side down, until they’re golden brown.