This cheesy pasta is the perfect weeknight meal when you need comfort food!
- 12 oz. rigatoni, cooked to al dente
- 1 1/4 cups pasta water, reserved from cooking the pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of kale, leaves removed from stems and chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups grated fontina cheese
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil until the butter is foamy. Add the diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally until the kale is wilted. Add the cream and reserved pasta water and bring to a simmer. Season with a little salt and pepper and the crushed red pepper. Add the pasta back to the pan and toss with the sauce. Lower the heat and add all four cheeses, reserving 1 cup of the cheddar and fontina mixed. Stir until the cheese is melted. Top with the reserved cheese and place under the broiler on high for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
Please don’t buy pre-shredded cheese! It makes such a difference to grate the cheese fresh and only takes a few minutes.
You can omit the kale. You can also add in your favorite protein to bulk up the meal a bit. Chicken, bacon or Italian sausage would all be equally great!
To get perfect al dente pasta: Check the time suggested on the pasta package and subtract 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.